Training Widget

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Today was just supposed to be an easy 3 miles, but the weather has been so bad and icy and snowy, that I couldn't resist running just a bit farther today since the temps rose to a huge 40 degrees. It was wonderful! I felt free running with out the gator, hat and heavy gloves.

Here's what's on my mind today. I'm a bit tired of running with the stroller. For two reasons. First, my kids are really tired of it. I started using the portable dvd player so they could watch movies while I run, but sometimes it slips, or stops or they fight over it and I have to put the break on the stroller and use my awesome negotiating skills. My other issue with stroller running is that I can't hit my pace with it. That extra 100 pounds really slows things down. The only time I can run kidless is on the weekend. I'll be able to get 12 miles under my belt on Saturday, but I just wish I could head out early in the morning strollerless.

Now for the other thing on my mind. What do I do about running through the summer? It's so hot and humid here, and I'm kinda dreading it! So here's what I'm contemplating. Do I buy a treadmill? Is it worth the purchase? Or do I get a gym membership for those really hot days and when my husband is out of town? I'm going to need some time to roll the options around in my mind.


Everything is going well though. I just signed up for my first Marathon. So far this year I have 2 halfs and 1 Marathon. I'm so excited! I'm hoping I get the opportunity to do Ragnar again.

I've decided to be really careful about what I eat. It seems like even the littlest detour from my normal eating regimen gives my stomach trouble. Sometimes I forget, but the side effects are so unpleasant that hopefully I won't forget anymore. The weekends are my downfall. Typically I've held it all together all week that by the weekend I use my long run on Saturday to forget about my eating goals for that day and then next. Then when Monday comes and after a rough Sunday night I'm back on the bandwagon ready to train hard again. Somehow I need to break this cycle. It's the same thing every weekend. Plus, for the past Forever weekends, my husband arrives in town for about 32 hours before he has to leave for the week again. So there it is. A glimpse inside my mind.

Now with all this complaining, I need to express some gratitude. I am so grateful that I have a strong body. After all the years of being pregnant and surgery and illness, it's wonderful to be able to run! I love everything about running. Even with a stroller, I love it. Plus, I figure for the sake of exercise it must give me a little bit more "umph" toward my fitness goals. I am grateful for my husband who provides for us so well, and gives me the opportunity to stay home with my 4 cute kiddies! Last thing I'm grateful for...

My new running shoes! I bought them with my winnings money and a gift certificate from the running team I coached last year. So sweet of them to help me buy my new shoes. I decided not to coach this year, and I will miss them. I wore them for the first time to break them in for my race next month. They felt great for the 5 miles today.






No comments:

Post a Comment